August 21, 2017

I'm With Him

Devotion for the Week...

We bought Aiden his first drum set for Christmas 2011 after he had spent months taking all of my metal mixing bowls and my pots, then spreading everything out around him and drumming on them with my wooden spoons. In May 2013, he upgraded to a larger set (he looks like such a baby in those pictures! Wow!) Talking to Aiden about music is like talking to me about quilting...there's the same enthusiasm in his voice, the same excitement about all the things he's doing or wants to do.

This weekend, he'll be performing in a music festival. A local musician was so impressed by Aiden and his friends, when he heard them a few months ago, that he asked them to be his band for this festival. It will be Aiden's first performance outside of a school setting and we're all looking forward to it (Aiden, especially!).


Because he's performing, Aiden gets into the festival for free. He also gets one ticket for a guest. Let's say I'm the one using that guest ticket. Because I'm going with Aiden, I get in for free, even though I'm not doing anything to contribute to the festival. Really, that's for their benefit, because I have zero musical talent, so they don't want me trying to contribute! All I have to do to get in is show up and say I'm with Aiden and they'll let me in, even though I didn't pay for a ticket and I'm not doing any of the work.


Sound familiar? Jesus has offered all of us a 'guest ticket' to relationship and eternal life with God. Jesus did all the work and now we are able to have that eternal life simply because we're with Him. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).


There are a lot of people still trying to earn their way into heaven, but it doesn't work that way. It's not like the festival tickets, where some people are getting in free because they're performing, others are getting in free because they're guests and everyone else can just buy a ticket. The only way to God is through Jesus.
Weekly devotions on Christian living | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
My work can't get me saved. Neither can yours. No matter how hard we try, it will never be enough, because we have no talent for righteousness, any more than I have for music. Fortunately, God isn't looking for people who have righteousness figured out, because He knows we can't do it. Instead, He is looking for those who are willing to admit they can't do it on their own and who are willing to say, "I'm with Jesus."

1 comment:

  1. I started a Perspectives class (I believe it's national) this week. It's basically a global missions class. 15 different speakers over 15 weeks. This week we heard an overall talk about how "missions" came to (putting it very simply) - all three times when God hit the start/reset button (Adam, Noah, and tower of Babel), he said to be fruitful, go forward and spread his name (paraphrasing). Your blog entry this morning was just the icing on the cake. He's done the work, made the sacrifice, and it's up to us to be the guest using the extra ticket.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.