June 02, 2016

TGIFF - A Finish of a Different Sort

Welcome to Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday! If this is your first time here, then a special welcome to you :) I'd offer you a cup of tea and a muffin, if I could. Since I can't, I hope you'll consider signing up for my monthly newsletter, The Bulletin, where I share news from me along with fun things to make, including a favourite recipe to fuel your sewing.


My finish this week is completely different from my normal sort of projects. No fabric at all, even!

For Christmas, my sister-in-law gave us this beautiful plaque that she made.
Christmas Wall Plaque | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com

Her husband cut the boards, she painted them and then used a paint marker for the words. Didn't she do a beautiful job? Nancy's talented like that, with anything she decides to try. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to copy her technique, right down to getting my husband to do all the cutting, gluing and nailing of the boards! I'm not exactly comfortable with power saws.

 
I saw this phrase on a sign in an Etsy shop a couple of years ago, but the shop doesn't ship to Canada, so I've been trying to come up with a way to make something similar ever since. This was exactly what I wanted. I used Canva for the fonts and to position the words. Then I used an old fashioned projector and traced the letters onto the painted boards. This hangs in our entryway, where we get to see it all the time.

Together Wall Plaque | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com

I also made a second one that is especially for me.
Dreams Wall Plaque | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com

I have a lot of dreams. I always have had a lot of dreams, but I've always also been very, very good at procrastinating. This has been my mantra for the last year or so as I try to remind myself that those dreams won't amount to anything unless I put in the effort. I wanted to have something pretty to hang on the wall to keep it 'top of mind,' as they say.

This will hang in our laundry room - a room I see multiple times every day, as I'm sure you understand :) It will share wall space with mini quilts and mini mini quilts, some that I've made, others that I swapped for, and I will finally have my very own mini quilt wall. I'm planning to get everything hung this weekend, so I'll hopefully share that next week.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to checking out all of your finishes for the week! Link up below and don't forget to visit a few of the other links and leave some comment love.



16 comments:

  1. Very cool signs! I love all the quotes, but that last one is definitely my favourite. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to hang an inspirational sign. Where you will see it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your signs are all so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done a great job! I love them all :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your boards are lovely Leanne, I could definitely do with reminding myself of your Dreams quote now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done, Leanne! Procrastination is definitely an issue at my house. I think the dream quote is a great reminder to keep on chugging :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your signs are beautiful, Leanne. You should definitely share of a picture of your wall of minis after you get everything hung. I hang stuff in my laundry room too for pretty much the same reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job with the lettering on the signs. So pretty!
    My laundry room walls are covered in kids' art work from years back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great signs! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on those signs. What a great way to add some fun to your laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are wonderful signs, Leanne. I often have admired the likes of these in JoAnn's or Home Sense, etc stores and thought, "I can make that!" and I never have... will save this for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those signs! That's an idea I've pinned on Pinterest, but wasn't sure how to really accomplish it easily. Love the projector idea! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic job on the signs! Beautiful messages too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful signs and great job with the lettering! I'm a procrastinator too so I need that mantra :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your signs, Leanne! Such a good idea - I need to make some of my own! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your signs and quotes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.