January 22, 2014

WIP Wednesday - Progress on Several Fronts

 
I've been making bits of progress on several of my projects. To start with, I've been working on the Happy Birthday banner quilt. I got the top pieced, after a slightly panicky moment when I realized I didn't have enough of this blue batik for the borders.
I figure that extra little seam in each side border won't be all that noticeable, right?

I also have the letters drawn on the paper side of the fusible web. I'll be using the red of the inner border for the letters. I'm working on writing the pattern for this quilt, so if anyone is interested in testing it for me, email me at piecefullydevoted at gmail dot com.

Monday night I did some of the stitching around these snowmen. There are six snowmen (three at each end of the runner) and only one and a bit left to go for the stitching around the body. Then all six need arms so they are actually holding the things currently just floating on their bellies.

I have started pulling fabrics for the sewing room block of the And Sew On BOM by Kristy at Quiet Play. This is what I took out of my scrap bag one evening. I still need a bunch of other fabrics, so hopefully I'll dig those out of my stash later in the week.


 I have my paper foundations all printed and labelled, which will make life easier when I am ready to start sewing all these tiny pieces.

As I was labeling the sections I realized the sections are lettered from A all the way to Q - that's a lot of sections. Then I noticed that some of the sections have 10 or more pieces, which made me wonder, "Just how many pieces are in this block, anyway?" So I tallied them all up.

See that number circled at the top of the paper? Yep. 117 pieces in one 10" block. I don't know who's crazier - Kristy for designing it or those of us who think it's too cute not to make!


I hope to tackle at least a couple of sections of this block before the week is out. We are under a blizzard warning for tomorrow, so maybe that means I'll get a little extra sewing time.

I link to these places.

11 comments:

  1. No those extra seams will not be seen. Looks like it is going to be a fun project to finish up. :)

    I like your snowmen. I'm supposed to make a bunch of snowmen blocks. I should probably figure out what it is I'm planning on doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even see the seams. It looks lovely. Stay warm and out of the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of pieces. It will be fun seeing it come together. Can't bare the see the seam on the blue batik, it'll disappear on the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. paper piecing, one bite at a time. I love it!
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your snowmen are whimsical and fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those snowmen are cute!

    Lol made me laugh at tallying up the number of pieces! It sure is a lot - but hopefully it won't make you tear your hair out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the seams will just disappear when it's all finished up, and WOW!! that's a lot of pieces for one block. Good luck tackling that one!

    Thanks for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your snowmen, can't see any seams in your border either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am looking forward to seeing the complete of your Happy Birthday quilt. Your snowman runner is precious. BUT all those pieces...that is going to be a whopper of an undertaking. Good Luck. genie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those snowmen are too cute! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.